Aretha Franklin had the right idea about respect when she said “find out what it means to me!”
Today on the Work Smart Club, we are looking at a different take on what respect means to us in the workplace. We discuss why respect needs a refresh and how a lack thereof affects productivity and profit.
We also delve into a few definitions of what respect is and recognize that we can all find something in someone that we admire. You’ll hear all about how respect can prevent escalations of conflict, why respect and liking someone are not mutually exclusive, the importance of getting to know your colleagues and maintaining healthy standards of relationships, and the dangers of indifference in the workplace.
Finally, we challenge you to define what respect means to your organization and make it a part of your company culture and work standard! To hear all this and more, tune in now!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why respect in the workplace needs a refresh.
- How lack of respect in the workplace affects productivity and profit.
- We define what respect is: the desire to elevate a relationship through admiration.
- Why we can all find something in someone that we can admire.
- How we can acknowledge small yet powerful behaviors.
- How respect (assuming people act with good intentions) can prevent escalations of conflict.
- Why you can respect someone who shows you a lack of respect.
- Whether or not you can respect someone without liking them.
- The importance of getting to know your colleagues.
- Why negativity is so contagious.
- Why gossip needs to be shut down in the workplace.
- Why you have to choose to respect someone and cannot be forced to.
- How indifference has taken over many departments and organizations.
- Why the standards of relationships at work should be healthy.
- Why liking someone and respecting someone is not mutually exclusive.
- The importance of the ability to make progress and why respect is imperative to do this.
- We challenge you to make respect an operational standard and core competency!